“Now we live with great expectation, and we have a priceless inheritance — an inheritance that is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay” (1 Peter 1:3b-4 NLT).
It’s easy to look around the world and not see any reason for hope. But God’s Word is clear: We have real reasons for hope. The first chapter of 1 Peter gives us five of those reasons. I’ve described two of them the last few days in these devotionals.
- God chose us before we chose him.
- God always treats us with grace and mercy.
The third reason is God has secured our future. No matter what happens for the rest of your life, if you have a relationship with Christ, God guarantees your future. You will never be able to lose your salvation.
The Bible says, “Now we live with great expectation, and we have a priceless inheritance — an inheritance that is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay” (1 Peter 1:3b-4 NLT).
An inheritance is what you’re given because you belong to a family. Usually, it’s given to you at someone’s death. It’s like a birthright.
Peter gives us five words and phrases to describe our inheritance in Heaven. It is:
- Reserved: You need a reservation to get into Heaven, and you can only make that reservation through Jesus. Once you put in your reservation, it can never be canceled.
- Pure: It isn’t fake. It’s the real deal.
- Undefiled: It can’t be corrupted. You can’t lose it — ever.
- Beyond the reach of change and decay: It won’t whither, die, or lose its value.
- Priceless: You can’t measure its value.
God has already written the final chapter of your life. You’ve got a reservation that you cannot lose! You can trust in that. You can believe in that. You can place your hope in that.
PLAY today’s audio teaching from Pastor Rick >>
Talk It Over
- Why is it so important that we’re able to trust that God’s gift of salvation is secure?
- Have you ever struggled to believe in the security of your salvation? What helped you overcome those concerns?