Four Types of People You Need in Your Life
By Rick Warren
— October 28, 2017
“Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm” (Proverbs 13:20 NIV).
You and I can never be the kind of people God wants us to be on our own. We were never intended to be. We all need people who are teaching us, sharing their lives with us, investing in us, and encouraging us to grow.
The Bible tells us, “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm” (Proverbs 13:20 NIV).
In fact, to be all that God calls you to be, you need to learn from at least four different kinds of people.
- Mentors – These are your coaches. I’ve had nine different mentors in my life. No one can teach you everything you need to know. One person will teach you in one area. Another person will teach you about something else.
- Role models – These are people who are already doing or have already done what you want to do. Many of the skills you’ve learned in your life, you’ve learned by watching others.
- Partners – You need co-workers and colleagues who are in your profession, people to support and challenge you on what God wants to do through your life.
- Friends – Friends don’t necessarily help you with your goals. They’re just friends. They love you no matter what you do. You can mess up, and they still love you. A friend walks into your life when everyone else walks out. That’s when you know who your friends are.
Trying to live life solo isn’t just lonely. It works against God’s design for us.
PLAY today’s audio teaching from Pastor Rick >>
Talk It Over
- Of the four types of people Pastor Rick says you need in your life, which do you have the most of? Which do you have the least of?
- Why do so many people attempt to live life without the support of others?
- Does anyone in your life need your support in one of these roles?
Give hope, prayer, and encouragement below. Post a comment & talk about it.