Developing Your Creativity
By Rick Warren
— May 21, 2014
Wise men and women are always learning, always listening for fresh insights.
Proverbs 18:15 (MSG)
Over the years, I've noticed when people are stuck in life, it's usually because they're still working off a set of assumptions that no longer apply. Or they're using problem solving techniques that once worked, but don't work anymore.
God wants us to always be learning, "always listening for fresh insights." (Proverbs 18:15 MSG)
Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing mysterious about being creative. The basic principle of creativity is simply combining two or more known ideas in a new way to create a fresh idea. This is a skill you can develop and it starts with awareness:
Here are the five steps I use in the creative process:
- State the problem clearly. What is wrong? Be as precise as you can. Vague problems are more difficult to solve.
- Set a specific goal. What is it that you really want to accomplish?
- Generate as many ideas as possible. The more ideas you have, the better. Force yourself to list at least 5 options. Brainstorm. Have fun. Use your intuition. Ask a lot of questions.
- Narrow the list to the one best idea. One new idea is all you need to get unstuck.
- Take action! Do it now. God has given you fresh insight, now act on it!
You must always be developing and growing and becoming what God wants you to be. Learning to be a leader takes a lifetime.
Give hope, prayer, and encouragement below. Post a comment & talk about it.